I will never forget the first podcast I ever listened to. It was Serial, the case against Adnan Syed. I listened to it on my 3 hour drive to Nashville for a work trip. Thanks to an unexpected incoming snowstorm, I also listened to the rest of it on my drive back that same day. Yup, all in one day. It made that 6 hour round trip go by so much more quickly. I was hooked. Since then, I’ve binged a dozen or so podcasts, from Atlanta Monster, Up and Vanished and Missing Richard Simmons. All have gotten me through long car rides, airplane trips and long leisurely walks.
I’ve become more and more obsessed with podcasts. Between TV being a bit exhausting these days with the news, and just the need to escape, I’ve actually found myself looking for more podcasts. I wanted to share a few of my favorites that I’ve listened to over the years. Along with newly discovered ones like Phil In The Blanks that I heard about through the My Style Vita Facebook Group. Some of these may be super old, but I still want to include them in case you’re new to podcasts!
My Favorite Podcasts
Crime + Murder Podcasts
- Up & Vanished – Based in Georgia, this is a WILD murder mystery. It’s LONG, but worth it.
- Serial Season 1 – The story of Adnan Syed who is convicted of murder at the age of 17 of his girlfriend. Personally, I think he’s innocent.
- Serial Season 2 – A totally separate story but not as good as season 1. But Sarah Koenig who hosts Serial has the most incredible voice so you want to listen no matter what. This season is about Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl who was captured by the Taliban and then charged with desertion.
- Atlanta Monster – The same host as Up And Vanished, this digs into the Atlanta Child Murders in the late 70s early 80s.
- A Killing On The Cape – Not even sure how I stumbled onto this mini series, but it’s a super interesting murder mystery that happened on the Cape.
On my “to listen” list, Bardstown (just started this and loving it so far), Casefile and really any cult focused podcast. All about a good cult!
Comedy + Pop Culture
- Be There In Five – Kate Kennedy is the host of this pop culture podcast and she has a true gift of words. You’ll just have to listen to understand. Her Mormon Mommy Bloggers series is a great place to start on these. No need to go in order, dive in on topics that you want to hear more about. The (Gen) Zequal is also a great episode that’s super relevant right now. If you’re into Taylor Swift, you’ll want to listen to any and all episodes about her albums.
- Office Ladies – If you’re a fan of The Office, this show is a must-listen. Angela and Pam (who are friends in real life) do a behind the scenes break down of every episode from The Office. With special guests form the show and writers, it’s the ultimate binge to compliment anyone’s obsession of The Office.
- Girls Gotta Eat – I feel like this is the podcast that got me into non-crime podcasts. Ashley’s a blog friend and I couldn’t be more blown away but what they built of this podcast. A must listen if you’re a young woman dating, in a relationship or just human honestly.
- Absolutely Not – We all love Heather McMahan on Instagram and her podcast is just as funny. I loved her episodes while in Thailand and her London flight shit show is a must-listen.
News & Politics
- The Daily – A NY Times podcast that puts out quick (under 30 minutes) episodes on a specific topic. I really like that they break down current events in easy snackable episodes. They’re quick, to the point, and help to give you a better understanding of things that are in the headlines.
- In The Bubble – During COVID, this is a new podcast hosted by Obama’s Acting Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. He’s also a must-follow on Twitter.
- Bad On Paper Politics – Bad On Paper is a lifestyle podcast that’s hosted by Grace Atwood and Becca Freeman. It’s great, but what I love MORE is their monthly political episode. It’s sort of like a politics for dummies where they go over a specific topic or issue with an expert to help explain it better. My personal favorite episode is the Stacey Abrams one where she discusses voting rights. Highly recommend listening to no matter which side of the aisle you’re on.
Informative + Inspirational
- Phil In The Blanks – Hosted by Dr. Phil who I kind of love, he goes over a lot of different things from psychology, relationship, and even COVID and the current situation we’re in.
- Goal Digger – Jenna Kutcher has kind of been on the shit list lately, but I have enjoyed many of her podcasts. Her voice is A LOT to handle, but she does have some good information. I’ve really liked some of her episodes on email marketing. And she’s the reason I finally hired some help in 2019 and it was the best thing I ever did.
- Coffee Talk French – I got into a decent routine of listening to this educational podcast that helps you learn to speak a language. I haven’t listened in months and I need to get back into it. There are other languages too if you’re not looking to learn French!
I need to finally listen to Oprah’s SuperSoul Sundays, I’ve heard such great things about it. I’m also shocked I haven’t listened to How I Built This, it’s on my list! And lastly, Michelle Obama who I adore is coming out with a podcast and that is on the top of my list. I’m currently listening to Becoming on audiobook and it’s so good!
What are some of your favorite podcasts or must listen episodes?
Photo by Hannah Lozano