One of my all time favorite things to get at a coffee shop is a chai latte. Make that a dirty chai latte (has a shot of espresso in it!) for an extra boost of flavor and caffeine. The flavor profile of this warm and somewhat spicy drink is one of my absolute favorites especially for this time of year.
The only downside of this delicious concoction though is the insane amount of sugar usually found in them. These can pack a serious amount of calories into a small glass.
How To Make Homemade Chai Tea
In an effort to keep healthy and watch my waist line, I was thrilled to try my hand at an at home chai latte with Pure Via. This all natural, non-GMO sweetener is perfect for mixing in with recipes from drinks to desserts. It’s derived from the stevia plant which I’m sure you’ve heard of before, and is a great sugar alternative. It was the perfect way to sweeten up this chai latte at home without adding on the calories.
Whipping up one of these yummy, warm drinks is actually super easy. With just a few ingredients you should have on hand, and a little patience to steep your favorite black tea, you’ll have the perfect coffee shop drink at home. I like to pair my Pure Via chai latte with a yummy scone for a decadent breakfast on the weekends. Makes for these cool mornings to feel a little cozier.
This post was written in collaboration with Pure Via. All opinions and views are my own.
Homemade Chai Tea
- 2 cups 500 mL boiling water
- 4 bags black tea
- 1 cup 250 mL 1% low fat milk
- 4 packets Pure Via sweetener
- 1 teaspoon 5 mL ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon 1 mL ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon 1 mL ground nutmeg
- Pour boiling water over tea bags into a 2-cup (500 mL) glass measure. Let steep 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags.
- Heat milk in a 4-cup (1 L) glass measure in microwave on HIGH 1 minute. Stir in Pure Via sweetener and spices. Whisk until frothy and well blended. Stir in hot tea.
- Divide tea mixture evenly between 2 large mugs and serve.