Last week I finally shared my patio reveal that’s been on my to do list for ohhhh 7 years. To commemorate the project, I decided to cook for the first time in a very long time. You’ve probably noticed I share a ton of cocktail recipes, well that’s because I never cook, but I do have a fully stocked bar. I was actually really excited to finally make a full meal, you know one that requires buying meat, using a pan or two, and the BBQ. Whipping this meal up was easier than I expected, and I was also pleasantly surprised as to how delicious it was too.
This meal is perfect for dining al fresco, and makes for really yummy leftovers (steak and eggs anyone for breakfast?). I whipped up an easy Mexican skirt steak with grilled portobello mushrooms, grilled corn and my smashed black beans. Top top it all off, I added my chimichurri sauce to the steak. This is such a great sauce to add to meats and you can just keep leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
AllModern Carafe c/o | AllModern Bar Cart (last seen here) | HomeGoods Place Mats and Napkins | West Elm Flatware
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 1/2 jalapaneo diced
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 3-4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
SMASHED BLACK BEANS
- 2 16 oz cans of black beans drained
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- handful of cilantro chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 oz white tequila
- 2 1/2 oz grapefruit juice
- 1-3 slices of jalapeño
- Squeeze of lime
- 2 dashes of bitters
- simple syrup if needed
- Handful of Cilantro and parsley
- Garlic clove
- Olive oil enough to get the consistency you like
- 1/2 Jalapeno
- 1/4 Onion
- Add all ingredients to a ziplock bag and marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Remove the steak from the fridge 20 minutes prior to grilling to bring to room temperature
- Grill for 8-10 minutes depending on desired level of doneness.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, and slice.
SMASHED BLACK BEANS
- Saute all ingredients except black beans until soft. Add black beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Smash the beans with the back of a spatula and serve.
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake
- Pour into a rocks glass and garnish with a jalapeño slice
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend while streaming in olive oil.