The other night I joined my friend and her boyfriend at a nearby restaurant for a little nightcap. I walked, which always makes me happy to do in a non-walking major city.
And when I got there he asked us a question that I thought was such a smart conversation starter. And really just a fun way to learn new things about friends. It got us talking for a good bit trying to come up with a list.
He asked, “what are small things that spark joy for you”? Like those little things that are kind of meaningless and happen kind of often, but still, make you happy or smile.
I loved this question because it really made you think about finding joy or happiness in even the smallest of things. Which could easily help turn a bad day around, that’s how small they are. I thought it would be fun to share a few that we came up with and that makes us happy. But tell me, what little things that happen in your day spark joy?
12 Small Things That Spark Joy
The little things in life truly spark a little smile on my face. Or make me feel a little happier or accomplished. I think it’s important to even look at little life tasks like laundry day or running to the grocery store and being able to find something that can make you happy.
1. When you order an appetizer to share and it’s the perfect amount so everyone gets the same portion. There’s nothing worse than having to split that last piece of flatbread down the middle. Everyone’s happier when they get their own piece!
2. That front row parking spot on a busy day at the store or mall. I call it “princess parking”.
3. When you go to the cash register to buy something and they ring it up and it’s on sale but you had no idea. I wish this would happen all the time!
5. When it’s not too hot, not too cold, to sit outside at your favorite restaurant. That perfect patio weather is just glorious. You can’t beat it.
6. That post pool or beach nap after being out in the sun all day. It’s like the BEST nap of your life, right?
7. The first sleep after you put on fresh sheets. Pork usually screws this up for me, so it’s extra special when she doesn’t steal that first nap before I can go to bed in clean sheets.
8. When you come home from work or being gone all day to your very happy dog.
9. Turning on the TV and your favorite show is on without having to touch the remote.
10. Coffee in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday with nowhere to go, nothing to do but just sit and enjoy it. Preferably on my new beautiful patio.
11. Finally getting into a new book. There’s something really satisfying about realizing you’re hooked on a book and can’t put it down.
12. Randomly deciding to get ice cream. I love an impromptu ice cream cone with a friend. And always get a side of sprinkles to dunk your ice cream into.
Photo by Hannah Lozano