I feel like all my life I was into black. Why I don’t even know, but it felt like the standard color to just resort to. When in doubt, wear black, right?
Something has shifted for me and I think especially as I head into fall and winter and my tan fades from summer, I feel like black is washing me out. For me, I find that black works just fine in the spring and summer when I’ve got a golden glow. And in the fall and winter, I prefer washed blacks and charcoals.
So what’s the solution to all the black? Brown. And I just can’t get enough of all things brown lately.
The Best Brown Pieces For Fall And Winter
If you aren’t yet convinced that brown is the new IT color, let me share with you a few of my favorite finds as of late. I’ve been slowly adding lots of great pieces to my closet from everyday tees and tanks, to dresses, boots and even coats.
And part of the reason I think I started to lean more into brown is because I have been very into red lately. Red is having a big moment and I personally don’t love it with black. Instead, I love to pair it with chocolate brown. It’s the perfect pairing and now I can wear my red Adidas Gazelle with so many things in my closet.
My Go To Brown Pieces For Your Fall Closet
- striped sweaterso cozywear with jeans and boots SHOP
- a simple hoodiedress this up with a blazer, or wear it with jeans and sneakers SHOP
- Everlane ankle bootieslove the heelPerfect for dresses, skirts and straight leg jeans SHOP
- square neck topelevated teeI’m a sucker for a sweetheart or square neck top SHOP
- top it offA perfect finishing touch to your look SHOP
- little brown dresstry a brown satin midi dress for your holiday outings SHOP
- Sam Edelman Coata classicYou’ll have this beautiful coat for years! SHOP
- cropped button downadding to cartWear this button up as an elevated long sleeve tee SHOP
- the perfect bagLove the shape of this bag and it’ll help pull your looks together SHOP
- Schutz Bootsthe perfect heelThese are just like the ones I’m wearing today but with a lower heel SHOP
- brown moto jacketditch the blackWhile I love my black leather jacket, a brown one is on my list! SHOP
- graphic teeMy go-to tees in my closet, a brown version is a must SHOP
How I Styled This Chocolate Brown Midi Dress
I have been on the hunt for fall dresses and I have 100% given up on true sweater dresses. Instead, I was thrilled to find this ribbed collared midi dress from LOFT. I find that it’s so flattering and easy to style.
Pairing it with a knee high boot is the way to go for fall. But I would also pair this with a cool sneaker, or a chunky loafer. And even in the spring, maybe a simple sandal. Since this dress isn’t a heavy wool or anything, it really can work from season to season.
And to complete this chocolate outfit, a cream leather bag. I find that I get so much use out of this Coach Tabby bag. The color, the size, I love it. Shop the look and more ribbed collared midi dresses below.
Best Brown Boots and Shoes For Fall And Winter
To complete our looks, having a great brown boot or shoe is key. While I would totally wear this brown midi dress with a black boot and black bag, I really do love it with the all brown monochromatic look.
A brown boot will be super versatile in your fall and winter wardrobe. I’m also really loving a brown flat like a loafer or ballet flat for the season. It’s a bit softer and more warm than a black chunky loafer.
What Shade Of Brown Should You Wear?
There are so many shades of brown to choose from. But lately, I am really leaning into the rich chocolate browns. I think they look more luxurious even if you’re picking up something at a lower price point. You can also wear your rich chocolate brown with other shades of the color for a monochromatic tonal look.
Shop More Chocolate Brown Favorites
Can you wear black and brown together?
If you’re worried about adding a great brown dress to your closet, but you don’t have black shoes, don’t worry! Mixing black and brown together is one of my favorite combinations. It’s easy to do by following a few simple rules and tips I share here.
My general rule of thumb is to sandwich the colors. It’s an easy trick that works almost every time. So don’t feel like adding brown to your closet is going to be a big challenge.
Brown really does go with a lot too. In addition to it working with all the black things you already have, try pairing it with creams and neutrals, and yes, lots of colors like red, soft blues, greens and purple to name a few.
Shop The Post
- PIN IT